verygoodgirl

Saturday, February 11, 2006

blizzard

home
12:59 a.m.

this, unlike most of my posts, is live. the snow is swirling, shooting, hurtling down. it is finally starting to stick. i am tired. of these parties, of these people, of my life.

on the way back, i emerge from the subway. it is bright, too bright. i try to remember the night- dinner, in the east village. japanese kids with spiky hair. a "medium" vodka drink. a bar, nearby. two lovely, lemony hot toddies. a party. tall, tall people. a vodka drink, with ginger ale. or two. or, three. at midnight, the birthday girl and i go out to get more ice. on the way back, i ask her -

"how long do you think you'll stay in new york?"

"I don't know," she says, cheerful and chipper, clutching a bag of ice. "I met this guy, Ben..."

And though I met him earlier, and her Ben is nothing like...well, you know. Her Ben is sweet and loving and kind.

We return to her party, and I pour myself a drink. More vodka. Now, at least we have ice.

Two sips later, and I look around. Who are these people? Why, dear God, am I here?

I leave.

On the way home, I cross Sixth Avenue. I look North. More snow. More lights. I look South. Taxis, waiting. I stand there, in the crazy fast cold wet snow, and I think

god

help

me.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sounds like it's time to exit the groove. The writing is on the wall in like, 20 different languages. Put yourself first, and make a move. Somewhere. Even if it's just uptown. It's past time, and it's about so much more than Ben - or Z or any boy.

    Claim your fabulous.

     
  • At 5:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    happy v-day...vgg

    - b

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the weather's nice -- come out and play!

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    aiya...what's going on? nyc is even colder without hearing about your warm adventures!

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    why don't you go back to illinois?

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it's been a month+... where is the vgg? missing you.

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    now i'm just worried about you...is everything ok?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home