verygoodgirl

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

efficiency

Sunday 8 January

I arrive at the bar early. The "hosts" are already there with nametags and instructions.

Speed dating. For the first round, the women stay seated, while the men rotate, after each six minute "date." Then, at the end of the night, each person logs into the website and checks the names of the dates that interest him/her. When both people have selected each other, their email addresses are revealed to each other.

Amazingly, six minutes is absolutely enough time to decide whether to go on a real date. Of the dozen men I meet, only one makes me laugh. He is short, slightly portly, wearing a windbreaker that says "ITALIA" on the front. He seems about 10 years too old for it, but then again, I am often wearing clothes that are probably meant for teenagers.

I meet L, who instantly bores me.

L: I love what I do. I feel like I'm really helping people You know, like the white knight in movies, I feel like people choose me to help them.

Me: So...what do yo do?

L: I'm a lawyer.

Me: (Trying not to smirk). Oh...who do you represent?

L: Spanish people.

Me: Spanish people? Spanish-speaking people?

L: No. Spanish people. There are a lot of Spanish people in New Jersey.

Me: You mean, immigrants from Spain? Where are they from - Madrid? Barcelona?

L: Costa Rica, Peru, South America, you know.

Me: Huh.

Afterwards, Italia is sitting at the bar, and I go up to him. I am intrigued, though not very attracted. I say I have to go, and he says, "I would have asked you out for a drink..." I hesitate. What do I have to lose? "Ok," I say, "just one."

We go to a fancy hotel bar near my house, and I have a dirty martini. A ridiculous couple makes out on the cushions in front of us. The conversation is actually decent, but I think, I want us to be friends.

Afterwards, he walks me part of the way home.

Italia hugs me, and says, "I'm going to stop here so you don't think I'm trying to find out where you live. I had a good time."

I thank him, agree, and walk home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home