verygoodgirl

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

pool party

Saturday 7 January

A college friend of mine, AC, is in town from San Francisco. I meet her and her friends for a birthday dinner at a Chinese restaurant on the Upper West Side. The birthday girl, AA, is throwing a disco/pool party at a trendy hotel. One of them, CS, has a technology job somewhere. He is tall, friendly.

After a few rounds of cheap sushi and even cheaper drinks, we head downtown to the party. Drinks, drinks, drinks. AA and her business school classmate have rented out the entire pool area, including sauna and steam room, as well as an entire mezzanine bar area, overlooking the pool. The room is buzzing, the lights are low.

At the very beginning, I meet a guy, G, and we realize he had been at our New Year’s party last week. Drinks, drinks, more drinks. I remember my pledge and give CS my card. After a few more, AC convinces me to go swimming. The pool is startlingly warm.

G says, “Don’t take this the wrong way, but you are way hotter than you were last week!” Way hotter, because I’m wearing way less clothing. So predictable.

The boys are rough, and just want to pick us up and throw us around. “Come on! Let’s play chicken!” After fending off several unwanted approaches, I’ve sobered up too much, and say my goodbyes. I lurch into the steam room to pull my clothes over my bikini.

For a moment, I consider staying, but I remember my knotted, dripping hair, and feel uncomfortably stuck to my jeans. I get in a cab and go home by myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home