how many days
Days 1-10: No idea. Did I eat? Did I sleep? All I know is that I cried. On the plane, in the car, on the train. In California, in New York, in DC. Wept. Sobbed. Cried.
Day 11: Try to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately, I succeed. Dinner with V, at a divey Vietnamese joint in Chinatown. Cheap and good. A tall glass of bad white wine. Later, at a crowded dance club on the LES, I smile at a happy looking Asian guy. When he stands up, I am 3 inches taller than him, in my very tall heels. He is a physical therapist. As we talk, he puts his hand on the small of my back, and I squirm away, already irritated.
He continues smilingly, "Oh, you live right by my campus. We should hang out."
I ask, critically, "How old are you?"
"31!"
"I don't believe you."
He shows me his driver's license. He's telling the truth. I shrug.
He persists, "Well, can I at least have your number?"
"Maybe," I say, and turn away.
Later I talk to a tall, preppy white guy in a blazer ("I know her husband from rowing crew..."), and when he later wanders off without saying good-bye, I buy myself another scotch.
Old habits die hard.
On the way home, my friends want to go to the all-night donut place, where we went with Clerk in April. I have the cabbie drop me off at home. Slingbacks in hand, I run up the dirty stairwell to my apartment and pass out on my bed.
Later, the combination of scotch, vodka, white wine, and pho result in a very unhappy ending to a very unhappy night.
Day 12: I fall asleep without alcohol or pills, but I wake up. 5:30. 6:30. 7:30. Each time, I wake up scared and frozen and alone. And I think. About Ben, about me, about us. About how good it was, even when it wasn't.
Sometimes, I half-sleep until dawn. Sometimes I just lie there. I can't sleep.
Then, when the tears come, I can.
Day 11: Try to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately, I succeed. Dinner with V, at a divey Vietnamese joint in Chinatown. Cheap and good. A tall glass of bad white wine. Later, at a crowded dance club on the LES, I smile at a happy looking Asian guy. When he stands up, I am 3 inches taller than him, in my very tall heels. He is a physical therapist. As we talk, he puts his hand on the small of my back, and I squirm away, already irritated.
He continues smilingly, "Oh, you live right by my campus. We should hang out."
I ask, critically, "How old are you?"
"31!"
"I don't believe you."
He shows me his driver's license. He's telling the truth. I shrug.
He persists, "Well, can I at least have your number?"
"Maybe," I say, and turn away.
Later I talk to a tall, preppy white guy in a blazer ("I know her husband from rowing crew..."), and when he later wanders off without saying good-bye, I buy myself another scotch.
Old habits die hard.
On the way home, my friends want to go to the all-night donut place, where we went with Clerk in April. I have the cabbie drop me off at home. Slingbacks in hand, I run up the dirty stairwell to my apartment and pass out on my bed.
Later, the combination of scotch, vodka, white wine, and pho result in a very unhappy ending to a very unhappy night.
Day 12: I fall asleep without alcohol or pills, but I wake up. 5:30. 6:30. 7:30. Each time, I wake up scared and frozen and alone. And I think. About Ben, about me, about us. About how good it was, even when it wasn't.
Sometimes, I half-sleep until dawn. Sometimes I just lie there. I can't sleep.
Then, when the tears come, I can.

1 Comments:
At 10:18 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hang in there, you. We are all here for you...
Post a Comment
<< Home