boyfriend, boyfriend, boyfriend
Late last night, Clerk calls. We have planned for my firm to fly him to
However, as always, there is a possible wrinkle in our perfect plan. The client, because of extenuating circumstances, may cancel the meetings.
I tell Clerk this, and we joke that I should insist that the client not ruin my weekend. “Listen,” I say, pretending to speak to the client, “I’ve got this whole weekend planned...”
And he continues, as me, “...I’ve got my boyfriend flying out here, so don’t f--- it up!”
“Exactly!” I laugh, thinking maniacally, “Boyfriend!”
Boyfriend. I am happy, but also doubtful. I don’t think of him as my boyfriend...yet.
First, what a funny, funny term. I say, only facetiously, that I met a boy. Last week, I told my client, GC, that I had to get to DC on time for a boy. And though I often think of myself as a girl – a verygoodgirl, in fact –I doubt that Clerk thinks of himself as a boy. Maybe I’ll call him my guyfriend.
My boyfriend is someone I talk to every single day. Someone who knows what I’m doing and where I am, almost all the time. I talk to Clerk every few days, and he certainly doesn’t know what I’m doing every evening, or vice versa. Of course, in a long distance relationship, intimate knowledge of the other person’s whereabouts seems less likely and less necessary.
And most importantly, my boyfriend is someone who knows me well. Knows my habits, my neuroses, my faults. My passions, my hopes, my fears. I know he wants to move to
I think, actually, that I know him, but doubt that he knows me. Then again, for me, with boys, boytoys, and boyfriends, hasn’t that always been the problem?

3 Comments:
At 8:16 AM,
Anonymous said…
i love that he keeps dropping the "b-bomb". i think you should relish it (bc it's SOOO much better than the "is he or isn't he" question). i don't think his use of the term necessarily implies he feels he knows you entirely yet -- but rather connotes his *intention*, willingness, and (dare i say) commitment to doing so, in an exclusive capacity. which is pretty freaking cool.
khm
ps: i also think there's room for a modifier with "boyfriend" -- as in "new boyfriend," vs. "boyfriend of 10 years who won't propose" or whatever. nothing's black and white. :)
At 8:11 AM,
Anonymous said…
amen a bag of chips re: "with boys, boytoys, and boyfriends, hasn’t that always been the problem?"
This has been bothering me of late with my "new boyfriend." And what I keep coming to is exactly that - those people from Mars are just different. My DAD probably can't tell you a lot of things about my mom that we'd all be SHOCKED someone who'd known her for 40 years didn't know. And the stuff he DOES know is stuff he's learned by necessity, osmosis or just experience.
It's a crappy realization, but I just don't think we can realistically expect to be on a truly apple to apples plane with them - or we'll find ourselves constantly disappointed. Though that doesn't really alleviate the dissapointment, does it?
At 4:53 PM,
Anonymous said…
remember too that if he doesn't *know* you, then you can't be disappointed when he does or says something hurtful, right?
because if he really knew you...well, then there's no excuse.
of course, who wants to live a partially-visible, only somewhat-revealed life?
Post a Comment
<< Home