friday the 13th
Three daylong meetings this week. Have been working 14-15 hour days. Thursday night I fly into Dallas. Friday morning:
5:45 AM: Can barely get out of bed
6:20: Shit. Late already, and security badge doesn't work. Am stuck in basement of parking garage! Finally someone lets me in.
6:40: I'm screwed. Copiers are slow, and meeting starts at 7 AM. Have to make 20 copies of 60 page document. F---.
8:00: STILL MAKING COPIES.
10:35: Finally, settled down. Listening half-heartedly to speaker. Suddenly, Blackberry flashes:
a message from Z. He writes:
"Long time no see. Too long, I say!
So, what might entice you to hang out... How about a ticket to see your beloved Redbirds tomorrow afternoon at Shea? I'm heading out with a bunch of folks (___(our firm) all, as it happens, though an interesting eclectic group I promise) and would love if you could join. Any interest/availability?"
Instantly, I feel sick, and sort of excited, and then sickened by my excitement. I wait a few hours, and reply:
"Tempting, tempting, but I will be in DC..."
Minutes later, he writes: "gotcha. enjoy!"
I am disappointed by his reply, and disappointed by my disappointment.
5:45 AM: Can barely get out of bed
6:20: Shit. Late already, and security badge doesn't work. Am stuck in basement of parking garage! Finally someone lets me in.
6:40: I'm screwed. Copiers are slow, and meeting starts at 7 AM. Have to make 20 copies of 60 page document. F---.
8:00: STILL MAKING COPIES.
10:35: Finally, settled down. Listening half-heartedly to speaker. Suddenly, Blackberry flashes:
a message from Z. He writes:
"Long time no see. Too long, I say!
So, what might entice you to hang out... How about a ticket to see your beloved Redbirds tomorrow afternoon at Shea? I'm heading out with a bunch of folks (___(our firm) all, as it happens, though an interesting eclectic group I promise) and would love if you could join. Any interest/availability?"
Instantly, I feel sick, and sort of excited, and then sickened by my excitement. I wait a few hours, and reply:
"Tempting, tempting, but I will be in DC..."
Minutes later, he writes: "gotcha. enjoy!"
I am disappointed by his reply, and disappointed by my disappointment.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home